Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rest

I had not realized how long it had been since I posted.  I apologize for slacking in that area :)  Work has been exciting and busy.  My climb up Mount Kenya was amazing.  I journaled during my climb and took lots of pictures.  I will share these as soon as I type what I wrote.  For now, I would like to share about another adventure I've had since posting last.

    I am truly blessed.  That’s all I can think as I open my eyes.  A breeze blows through my open aired room and rustles the mosquito net that encloses me.  I look out to see a sun in a brilliant, blue sky piercing through the trees and into my room to remind me that it’s morning.  Otherwise I would have no perception of time at all.  There is no reason to know.  I can’t remember the last time that was the case for me.  In one direction are trees, dirt roads, and a few houses similar to the one I’m in and in the other direction is the ocean.  I’m at the coast with our team.  But this is nothing like going to the beach in the States.  We are in a tall and narrow house that’s open to the breezes of the night and sounds of the ocean.  There is a secret door that leads up to the roof and gives the most beautiful view of the world around me.  Very few people inhabit the houses beside us and a stone walk way leads us to a pool right beside the beach.  Basically it’s paradise.







    This trip has made me contemplate the importance of rest.  How important, yet how difficult it is.  Why is that?  Many times, when I’m not doing something I think I should be productive in some way.  So even when I take time to rest I often fill it with thoughts of what I need to do, which I suppose is not really rest.  Why do I anticipate the next moment when I should be soaking up the present?  We were wired to take time to rest.  How much do we forget that in our culture today?  And how often are we made to feel guilty for taking that rest?  Rest is very different from laziness of course.  Laziness is the lack of motivation: the knowledge that something should be done, but instead one chooses the easy way of doing nothing.  Laziness happens when rest becomes the norm rather than the exception.  Rest is the intentional time taken to be physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy.  Rest is important to the success of activities.  Rest means that more is accomplished once rest is over.  Rest is needed to view and appreciate your own work and God’s creation.  God rested to admire His own creation.  What am I saying if I work so hard at things for His kingdom, yet I don’t take time to admire them?
    Rest is an interesting and tricky concept for my life in Kenya.  At times it seems to be enforced, yet at other times it is difficult to come by.  What I mean by this is that I have had to learn the concept of resting when there is no other option: when I must put aside my American mentality of time and efficiency.  For instance, when a group doesn’t show up to the challenge course on time, I must rest.  When I’ve finished with my work and am waiting on a ride, I must rest.  When traffic is backed up and it takes an hour longer than it should, I must rest (well as much as the combustion of Nairobi will allow for that).  Yet the call and purpose of living here can sometimes lead one to believe that there is no time for rest.  That I am here for a reason and need to be working towards that all the time.  But this is a lie.  Being a missionary in Kenya encompasses just doing life here.  It means integrating into the culture here and being a positive presence by striving to love the way Jesus loved.  It means working here, and it means resting here. 
    I prefer the term rest to wait or relax.  Waiting can be done impatiently.  Waiting implies that I am needing something in the next moments that is not occurring now; as opposed to resting when I am at peace and am simply taking in the present circumstances with patience and acceptance.  Relaxing is different than resting as well.  I’m not saying that relaxing is bad (we relaxed a lot at the coast of course), but it implies the absence of intention.  Relaxing is usually done when one is not expecting anything next.  Relaxing sometimes causes frustration when broken or lack of motivation to answer a call that is made.  Resting, on the other hand, can be taken in a moment or a day.  One can be stirred from resting when an important task needs to be done: when the Lord lays a calling on the heart.  But rest can go with us when we’re called to action.  It is the attention paid to much needed resting that creates a restful spirit that is always a part of us.  This is what I strive to cultivate: a spirit that is at peace and restful no matter the outside circumstances.  A spirit that exudes His love, joy, peace, and patience.

It’s interesting that this passage was part of my morning reading today:

Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Work six days and do everything you need to do.  But the seventh day is a Sabbath to God, your God...For in six days God made Heaven, Earth, and sea, and everything in them; he rested on the seventh day.  Therefore God blessed the Sabbath day; he set it apart as a holy day (Exodus 20:8-11)

God did not give us this commandment for His sake.  He gave it to us for our own sanity: so that we might rest.  And by resting we might glorify Him better.  Resting lets us gain perspective on what is important.  Resting helps us remember why we do what we do and decipher what we do that is not of importance.  Resting keeps our zest for life.  Resting allows us to dwell in His presence and in community with others.  Resting keeps our life from passing in a blur without our ability to enjoy and honor the time and experiences we are given.  I want to learn to rest well so that I might learn to live well.

No comments:

Post a Comment